Thursday, March 21, 2013

New Stuff!! Chico's Instrumental

Readers of Chico's World, I have something special today.

I've been writing instrumental guitar music for a long time now.  Some of it has been reworked into existing or upcoming Doctrine songs, but quite a bit of it doesn't fit into that medium.  Also, quite a bit of it sucks.  I write it mostly for my own sake.  (also, hearing yourself on tape will either break your soul or make you practice harder)

But I decided to sit down and write a piece of music especially for Chico's World.  I'm thinking about doing this more often.  It's a way for me to keep sharp on quite a few things - not just guitar, but recording, videography and editing.  Plus just churning out stuff is good for the creative juices (see: Jonathan Coulton, Thing-a-Week)

Let me know if you'd like to see more of this sort of thing.  I'll talk about it some after the video.



So there it is, in all it's hastily-edited glory.  This is simultaneously the most elaborate project I've done for Chico's World and the one I finished in the least time, so it's rife with minor blemishes.  I intentionally wanted to take a project from conception to blog in as little time as possible, so my apologies for the crappy editing and sub-par mixing.  It is somewhat intended.  If I do more of these, I expect I should get more proficient at the process.  

While I didn't write Chico's Instrumental (1? the first?) with any specific lesson in mind, it does cover a few things I've talked about.  Most noticeably, the rhythm guitar in the A section (I think of it as a chorus) chugs on the open E, alternating between straight 16ths and a gallop pattern, similar to what I talked about in the Right Hand Accuracy lesson.  It also makes heavy use of add 9 power chords discussed in the very first lesson here.


The last thing shown on camera is a variation on the left hand tapping I talked about in the lesson on the Revelation solo.  The passage could be played legato, but I elected to pick everything in this solo.  


So please, comment, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and let me know what you think of (?the first?) Chico's Instrumental!


Doctrine's EP is available on all your favorite digital music stores.
Doctrine of Ethos - EP - Doctrine of Ethos  

No comments: